Friday, July 30

FLEXITARIAN OF THE MONTH

Much as I might parody the use of the term as though it represents an ideology, I got nothing against "flexitarianism," especially if it's a stop on the path to veganism, as will undoubtedly be the case for some. The good thing about it, of course, is that flexitarians buy vegetarian and vegan foods, increasing their market share and helping extend their reach. One vegan-food purveyor is David Lee, whose Field Roast Grain Meat Co. "turns out a growing line of flavorful, meat-like loafs, roasts, slices, patties and links made primarily from high-protein wheat-gluten flour, vegetables and seasonings." I've had one of these loafs and it was tasty. And he acknowledges that his average consumer is "the emerging 'flexitarian.' They eat tofu one night, meat the next."

As for Lee himself, "the enterprise reflects Lee's own vegetarianism, his rejection of animal farming as 'cruel and unethical' and his belief that all life has value." Great, except that "As for all those flexitarians, Lee says he is one. 'I really am a vegetarian, but I need to be honest and say I'm not hardcore. I don't buy meat myself, but if I go to your house and you serve meat, I'll eat it,' to avoid wasting food or embarrassing his host." Well, that's his choice, of course, but I believe the offical term for this eating plan is not so much "flexitarian" as "wuss."

No comments: